Monday, December 8, 2008

The Names of the Lord in Psalm 23


Psalm 23
A psalm of David

1
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.


The most popular psalm in the Bible is also one of the most beautiful. Quite interestingly, it also expresses the names of the Lord in its verses.
  • 1a The LORD is my shepherd (Jehovah Rohi). Jehovah Rohi means the LORD is my Shepherd. We can rely on the goodnes of our God because he knows where to lead us, he knows how to sustain us, because after all, He is our shepherd.

  • 1b I shall not be in want (Jehovah Jireh). Jehovah Jireh means the LORD is my Provider. What more shall we ever want if we are in the Lord? All these things will follow, if we seek the Lord and His righteousness. He will provide all our needs and even our wants and will sustain our earthly flesh and spiritual beings.

  • 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters (Jehovah Shalom). Jehovah Shalom means the LORD is my Peace. In the presence of the Lord our God, we can expect peace and contentment. Even if we see all the chaos, disorder and war surrounding us in this world, we can rely on the peace that transcends all understanding, a peace given to us only by the Lord.

  • 3a He restores my soul (Jehovah Rophe). Jehovah Rophe means the LORD is my Healer. When we are weary, we can trust in our God to bring us healing to our wounded bodies and broken hearts. Restoration not only makes us physically healthy, but it ensures a complete wellness in our entire being.

  • 3b He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake (Jehovah Tsidkenu). Jehovah Tsidkenu means the LORD is my Righteousness. The Lord our God is righteous. And because of that, He wants us to be righteous like Him. But we can only achieve that righteousness through our Savior Jesus Christ.

  • 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. (Jehovah Nissi). Jehovah Nissi means the LORD is my Banner. Historically, armies put up banners in time of war to lift up their spirits and proclaim victory. We can be assured of victory in all of our battles with the enemy because we have the Lord, the true bringer of victory. It is interesting to note that while the Lord guides--hence the staff--He also corrects--hence the rod.

  • 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows (Jehovah Mikaddesh). Jehovah Mikaddesh means the LORD is my Sanctifier. Sanctification is the act of making one "holy" or setting him apart from the others. Traditionally, this is done through washing or anointing with oil as with the kings of Israel and Judah in the Old Testament. Thanks to our Lord God, we can proudly say that the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross will bring us sanctification.

  • 6 Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever (Jehovah Shammah). Jehovah Shammah means the LORD is there. He will be with us forever and we will dwell in His house when the Earth is judged and all those who have become righteous through Jesus Christ will be crowned.

1 comment:

Interior Design said...

Get started with your home or apartment interior decorating project by learning the basics of interior design. Whether you want to transform a space yourself or hire an interior designer, try these tips for home design!
http://www.designhelper.blogspot.com/